Sunday, September 13, 2009

Self-portraits

Working with Photoshop has had its challenges; add to the mix my clumsiness on a Macintosh, my learning curve and frustrations have been great. As I progressed on this project, however, I did gain confidence and know-how with the tools and functionality. Using a mix of personal photographs and Internet images, I used the layer tool to keep my images separate for editing. The most common practice utility was the quick select tool; as well as, lasso for subtractive purposes. Other tools frequently used were opacity reduction, stamp tool and zoom. I still lack knowledge of how to create all the possible effects but trust those will come, at least in part. Time consumption was greatest in finding images that were applicable and cleaning up the orphaned pixels. I am certain there are shortcuts for the latter and look forward to learning them.

As far as conceptual identities, like the technical aspect, I started small and worked up. My initial completed projects were more surface with reference to my ancestry and comedy. For some of my later pieces I dove deeper, and while some might appear cliché, felt them good expressions of current place. The crème de la crème (final piece) is poking fun of the works that rest before it. There is an acknowledgment that while my expressions of current place may in some instances seem bleak (and probably exaggerated), I myself stand in my own way but I also try to keep a humor about it.















5 comments:

  1. i like these. i think i found you're html hiccup because i couldn't view the one i wanted to view full size. the dali-esque one with the tazmanian devil(?) it looks like those quizno's puppets. i loved those quizno's puppets.

    exciting, fun and creative. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collage work, and a good amount of humor, would like to see the images have a bit more blending and depth. Conceptually really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you should be very proud of yourself. Your collection not only shows your handeling of Photoshop but I think it displays your humor and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Alice in Wonderland image. All of your images are very playful, and the colors are very bright. They could be illustrations in a children's book.
    --Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. kinda surreal and fun at the same time...i like it, i like it!

    ReplyDelete