Saturday, October 31, 2009

Caught ya, Arrogance

I hate to admit I've allowed myself to lose some (a lot) training since my September half marathon. But I'm hangin' in there! So I headed to the clubhouse treadmill, entering at the same time as another healthy-minded individual. But this guy was arrogant - you know how you can just tell?

I did a quick stretch and started. Actually, tried something I had just read in Prevention Magazine about trying to walk sideways and backwards to get more overall leg workout. I tried. I felt silly and know I looked silly. I glanced downward and saw the arrogant guy, on the floor doing crunches, looking up at me with a "good luck, broad" smirk. (Whatever)

Forward facing, increase treadmill speed. Here I go. Three minutes into my steady pace, Smirk Boy gets on the treadmill next to me. His pace a little quicker than mine but not much. Not quite fifteen minutes later, he gets off to get a drink. He walks around a bit, gets another drink, jumps back on. Me...steady. This time, I don't know why, but I took it on as a challenge - I'm not stopping before he does. Well, piece of cake. He stopped again maybe ten minutes later. Me...steady. Third time, same thing. And then I saw him leaving. Woohoo, I won, you jerk! I still had a good few minutes in me so gradually punched up the speed to a sprint. Vindicated!

Put your arrogance away, that's all I'm sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment