Tuesday, June 28, 2011

European snippets

Munich - My first "wow" moment was landing at the Munich airport to see the Alps to the west.

My flight arrived at 7:30 a.m., I checked into the airport hotel and headed into town on the train. After a 45-minute ride, I made a quick stop in the subway restroom which was quite unpleasant and almost made me sick. Rushing up the stairs for fresh air, I turned and, "oh...WOW!" I don't know what I expected to see but right in front of me was the Glockenspiel, a very large, dark gothic (or baroque, I've already forgotten my art history terms) structure lined with stone sculpture and red flowers. Ahhh...this is what I love about Europe, such beauty in the old architecture. But the element that drew crowds, with cameras aimed high, were the little figurines that spun, as if to dance, to the whimsical music.  Oddly enough, the Glockenspiel was one of the attractions I didn't really "need" to see but so glad to have stumbled upon it.



Nuremberg - Perhaps I've watched too many episodes of Rick Steves but I simply must use the words "quaint little village". I suppose the City is really not that little but the old town was so charming. After viewing the named "Beautiful Fountain" in the square, I ventured to the castle up the hill. So many wonderful photo opportunities and found another "wow" moment when, arriving at the top of the castle to view out over the city with red rooftops just as I'd seen in travel photos.

Prague - Having checked in, my experiences have not yet been written. While waiting for the group dinner, I take advantage of the complimentary internet service to write this little snippet.

At the restaurant, we'll start with a welcome drink called 'Becherovka', the national drink once used solely for stomach ailments, and supposedly "tastes like Christmas". For the meal, 'Halusky' will be served, a traditional dish of ham, potatoes and cabbage, followed by roast chicken, a pork kabob and potatoes. For dessert, a glass of champagne and pancakes filled with fruit, ice cream and whipped cream will round off the meal. And if unlimited beer and wine was not enough entertainment, there will also be live folk music played with traditional instruments and costume dancing.

UPDATE: I've returned from dinner. May I just say that was one of the most fun evenings I've had, maybe, ever! On the bus ride over, the Tour Direction mentioned "you must do everything they ask whether it is singing or dancing the funky chicken. (This was an "oh, crap" moment. I do not do group interactives well.) Tip: Beware of the woman with the wooden spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment